Thursday, July 14, 2011

Continuation of Turi

When we finally got to the top of Turi, we really had a good time.  It was nice that we were not in a hurry and took our time looking around.  First thing that I did was use the restroom.  As I came out, a man was standing there saying something to me in Spanish.  I thought he was trying to sell me something, so I just said, "No, gracias," and started to walk away.  He repeated himself alittle more urgently.  I still said, "no, gracias," and continued walking away.  After the third time, I realized he was telling me that I owed him a dime for using the bathrooms.  If I knew how to say it in Spanish, I would have told him that if he is going to charge someone to use the bathroom, then he should make sure there is toilet paper available.  One of these days, I hope to feel proficient enough to speak easily in Spanish.  Anyway, on to some pictures:

Some buildings to the side of Turi.  We ended up climbing MORE steps to the top of this section.


We thought this looked like a cemetery behind the church.


We decided this guy must have been a famous priest.


We loved the looks of all of the stone.


More stone...


I wonder what this used to be?


Beautiful views!!


More beautiful views!!






This house is at the very top of the hill


Pat from the top of Turi with the church in the background


Me from the top of Turi

We had a really great time on our walk to Turi.  We were going to walk back, but decided that we might be pushing ourselves.  And the bus was there as we were heading down, so we hopped on.  It only took us to downtown, so we went by Kookaburra's for a couple of BLT sandwichs and then headed home.  One of our most enjoyable days since we have been here. 




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! Did you by any chance have an opportunity to go to Eduardo Vega's arts and craft studio? I think it's on top of Turi too - and my favorite memory of Cuenca so far.
    That guy in the bathroom ripped you off for 10 cents - normally, at most, should be no more than 5 cents, if at all - LOL
    ALWAYS keep a couple of napkins stashed in your purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in Turi (took the red double decker bus), we paid before entering the bathroom, I think there was a sign. The man gave us a generous amount of tp. This is common in Mexico, a person is outside at a desk, where they dispense tp and take your payment.
    The view was wonderful up there!
    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete